Sirius Xm Radio - Beware of the Sirius/XM Lifetime subscription scam

I purchased a lifetime Sirius/XM subscription for $580 in July 2010.Two years later, I sold my car and wanted to transfer my subscription to my new car.

When I inquired about the process, a customer service rep told me that lifetime subscriptions aren't transferable nor are any discounts offered to customers like me who purchase another car and want Sirius/XM service.

Instead, the customer service rep lectured me for not reading the company's multi-page, single spaced license that species that "lifetime" subscriptions don't follow a subscriber when he or she changes vehicles.

I've learned my lesson: never again will I subscribe to any Sirius/VM service.With the many low to no cost Internet-based radio services now available, who needs Sirius/XM?

More Review Details

Helpful? 103 Yes 103 556 No 556
Had the same issue 70 Yes 70
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

2 days ago #1070357

I bought my lifetime subscription in 2004 for around $500.00, I've kept that truck until last month and switched my subscription to my new 4runner for $75.00. I would have paid $2158.56 by now @ $14.99 a month so the way I see it I have saved $1583.56 even with the $75.00 transfer fee. Great service too and it's a good thing to support satellite radio and programing has never been better....with the one exception of it being better programing when Artie Lang was on Stern.

Sep 02 #1028577

Not true lifetime membership get to transfer service from one radio to the with a $75 fee.

Mar 10 #956614 Brooklyn, New York

Great news today... I just found out that the LIFETIME subscription I bought 8 years ago from SiriusXM radio is only transferable into ONE CAR (for a $75 fee lol)!!! So that means when I sell my new car in a few years (the car I just transferred it to)... I LOSE MY LIFETIME SUBSCRIPTION!! So I told the lady on the phone "how is that possible to lose a LIFETIME subscription if I'm not dead."
It should not be a advertised as a LIFETIME subscription, It should be advertised as a LIFETIME CAR subscription! Deceiving! They got me good!! But thank you any way SIRIUS Radio... me and many others I'm sure will be switching to free internet radio through bluetooth soon and you will be out of business! :)

2 1 Reply

Feb 02 #939990

It's for lifetime of the radio in that car, not a person's lifetime. If you trade your car 3 years, it doesn't make sense to buy a lifetime subscription. Keep your car, your xm is free after 3 years. It's a great deal because monthly subscription prices keep going up every year. You should read the contract

3 5 Reply
Joe mc

Dec 07, 2014 #912353 Hudson, Massachusetts

They should allow a lifetime user to transfer and have functionality for at least 5 yrs from initial purchase of lifetime package. The current policy is clearly customer abuse.

5 1 Reply

Sep 01, 2014 #863993 Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Very true. With Sprint unlimited internet who needs SiriusXM. Want Howard Stern? Stream him from YouTube. All his shows are there just a day later.

Jan 02, 2014 #767493

I am in the same boat. I am filing a class action investigation against the company. I started on this site-
To add to the lifetime subscription BS, SiriusXM Radio allowed the new owner of the car to access my account and personal information on the phone and online. He changed all the new contact information to his own and left mine as billing so he could charge anything to my account and view my personal information at anytime. BOY AM I AM ONE PISSED OFF CUSTOMER. I feel violated.

8 0 Reply

Nov 22, 2014 #904462

You do NOT want to by these devices from ebay or the sort that have a 'guaranteed' lifetime subscription....very likely it will last until the ebay 30 day warranty period is over....then WILL die....

Nov 22, 2014 #904464

This is a note to ALL of you out there that may be considering these 'cheap' lifetime subscriptions....and some not so cheap...

Jan 20 #933854 Las Vegas, Nevada

your site doesn't seem to open...

0 1 Reply

Dec 19, 2013 #761088 Norwalk, Connecticut

I subscribed to a lifetime plan also for over $500. THey just sent me an invoice and are telling me that I only had a 3 year plan. This is bs.

May 27, 2014 #820810

Just read your complaint about Sirius. I am having the same problem. My credit card was just billed (auto renewal) for another 3 yr. subscription even though I bought a life subscription 3 yrs. ago. They didn't send me an invoice - I found out from my credit card statement. The am't is in dispute now, but wondered if you got it straightened out, and if so, what did you do? Thx a bunch.

Nov 22, 2013 #746127

The SiriusXM Lifetime is not transferable on cars. I don't know about portable units.When my dad got his Lifetime Subscription on his new Rav4, the CSR told him a number of times that it was not transferable. I think the only way that you may be able to transfer it is a accident or equipment failure.

3 2 Reply

Nov 07, 2013 #739224 Tarzana, California

These *** offs are the absolute worst people on the planet and I hope they go to ***. I have been HUNG UP on four consecutive times I have called. The dealership canceled my subscription on my car when I sold it without alerting me and SiriusXM allowed them to do it without notifying me at all. I wanted to reactivate my service and now they aren't allowing me to cause "I CANCELED" it. Now they are saying that you can't transfer services from car to car when I was allowed to do it twice, most recently in 2011. I am beyond irate and at the point of no return.

Nov 04, 2013 #737902 Minneapolis, Minnesota

a new scam to look out for from siruisxm...i bought a car in 2008 from a guy who bought it from a dealership in 2006. the dealership told him it had an xm radio lifetime subscription and he subsequently told me the same. i've driven the car for almost 6 years without a hitch, jamming away to the latest hits, never paying a dime, never even contacting xm about the account. then the other day my subscription was abruptly deactivated. i called xm and they had no history at all on the account, even after i gave them the vin#, previous owner's name, and the dealership he purchased the car from. all they had on file for this radio was that it was activated for a free trial on 7/29/2013, and that trial ended on 11/1/2013. wtf!?! absolutely no record of any activity on this radio prior to 7/29/2013, and no evidence of a lifetime subscription. i argued with them for 2 hours but basically they called me a liar and said i never had xm until 7/29/2013, when they for some unknown, incredibly mysterious reason decided to activate the account for a trial, after 7 years of inactivity!!!???!!! after another hour of arguing on a different night, xm made up some story, without providing any documentation, complete bs, but basically they said the car never had a lifetime subscription, it only had a short-term demo subscription, but they forgot to turn off the demo for 7 years. i asked them to send me some proof of that and of course they lied and said that that was private information... Show more

Oct 11, 2013 #727986

I agree that many of us who have been frustrated by the lack of options for updating or upgrading share some responsibilty for not reading fine print in a contract. Having said that it seems more than a little disingenuous for sxm to sell a "lifetime" subscription that by the very nature of the contract exceptions and limitations guarantees that most users will not truly get to enjoy a lifetime of radio service. In retrospect I guess it is a risk to prepay for a long term service from a company whos future is sketchy. The good news is that in 2013 there are plenty of alternatives for streaming for most of us.

Aug 30, 2013 #709326

In 2010 I was offered a lifetime subscription which I paid for. The representative knew the radio was dealer installed and did not tell me I could not transfer the lifetime subscription. No contract was provided to review. This is a great example of how to generate a poor customer image. I will now make it my business to spread the word on this shameful company.

Aug 24, 2013 #706088 New Berlin, Wisconsin

I purchased a lifetime XM subscription for $500 in August 2009. The lifetime subscription contract states I can transfer the service as many times as I wanted to, to any device for free. Now, August 2013, I traded my car and wanted to transfer my subscription to the new car.

When I inquired about this process, the customer service rep told me "lifetime subscriptions aren't transferable, they no longer offer them and discounts/refunds are Not offered to customers like me who purchase another car and want Sirius/XM service".

I have my contract from 2009. Sirrius never notified me of the change when they merged. The customer service rep stated they are not responsible for customers not obtaining or reading the company's license. After the merger, due to changes in bundling policies, some customers who had purchased lifetime subscriptions had their service reduced or canceled, and were unable to obtain a refund.

I am very angry and have learned my lesson: I will not subscribe / pay for any Sirius XM service in the future. My new vehicle comes with several Internet-based radio services, who needs Sirius/XM!

5 0 Reply

Aug 14, 2013 #699751 Oldsmar, Florida

I've bought my lifetime subscription back in 2006-2007 when Sirius was hurting for cash. I was about to cancel my subscription when they told me about the lifetime subscription for a few hundred dollars. I definitely have gotten my monies worth. I've just transferred my subscription for a second time, so I have more swap left. If all goes well I'll get 15 years out of this lifetime subscription saving $2200 vs the having to pay the monthly subscription. SiriusXM should definately bring the program back for $999 with 3 transfers. They get the money from you up front and you get to enjoy Sirius for 15 years.

3 1 Reply

Nov 29, 2014 #907782 Delavan, Wisconsin

Luckily I bought the lifetime subscription in May of 2005. I have no limit on the number of times I can transfer-as long as I don't transfer it to a car. I paid $538. I do have to pay $75 to transfer, but that's a small price to pay.

1-20 of 51 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.