Washington, District Of Columbia
19.3K views 62 comments

I purchased a lifetime Sirius/XM subscription for $580 in July 2010.Two years later, I sold my car and wanted to transfer my subscription to my new car.

Related: Sirius Xm Radio - XM Radio lifetime subscription scam

When I inquired about the process, a customer service rep told me that lifetime subscriptions aren't transferable nor are any discounts offered to customers like me who purchase another car and want Sirius/XM service.

Instead, the customer service rep lectured me for not reading the company's multi-page, single spaced license that species that "lifetime" subscriptions don't follow a subscriber when he or she changes vehicles.

I've learned my lesson: never again will I subscribe to any Sirius/VM service.With the many low to no cost Internet-based radio services now available, who needs Sirius/XM?

Review about: Lifetime Subscription.

Reason of Review / Monetary Loss Not specified / $290
Preferred solution Not specified

Had an Experience with Sirius Xm Radio?

Comments

Guy

I bought a lifetime subscription in March 2010.Still own the same vehicle and it has the same radio in it.

Sirius cancelled my subscription claiming they don't "sell" lifetime subscriptions anymore!

To "compensate" me, they gave me 3 months free!

Sirius even changed the wording on their billing history page from 2010 to remove the reference to "lifetime" subscription, trying to cover their tracks.

I am contacting Tina Wolfson of Ahdoot & Wolfson PC and Cornelius P.Dukelow of Abington Cole + Ellery to join their class action suit.

Bob Labbate
Stuart, Florida, United States #1302730

They apparently don't honor the part about following the vehicle. It seems they tell different stories to the original owner and the new one.

My radio had a lifetime when I bought it used 2 years ago and XM just decided to shut it down and told me it doesn't stay with the car and why should I get it for free.

They have a horrible attitude towards the public unless you send them money.

Why would anyone trust anything they say?

Marina Del Rey, California, United States #1221796

If you purchased your Lifetime subscription

•Before June 20, 2005: Yes, it is transferable from one radio to another any number of times.*

•From June 20, 2005 until September 7, 2007: Yes, your Lifetime subscription is transferable a maximum of three times.*

•On or after September 8, 2007: Lifetime subscriptions associated with home, portable or dock & play radios can be transferred a maximum of three times.* Lifetime subscriptions first associated with or transferred to radios installed in vehicles by automakers or dealers are NOT transferable unless the radio is stolen, accidentally damaged or defective.

Once a lifetime subscription associated with a home, portable, or dock & play radio is transferred to a radio installed by an automaker or dealer, the subscription becomes non-transferable.Otherwise, Lifetime subscriptions associated with a home, portable or dock & play radio can be transferred a maximum of three times, for a fee.*

Please call 1-866-635-2349 to make the transfer.

Read more about Lifetime Plans in our Customer Agreement. Please note that Lifetime subscriptions are no longer being offered to new subscribers.

*There is a $75 fee for each permitted transfer.Each of the fees which you may be charged will be subject to applicable taxes.

Im one of them. Couldnt of said it better myself

Awsome
Dayville, Connecticut, United States #1114661

I feal your pain just found out the same thing, life time my ***. As long as you never plane on buying another vehicle.total ***

Sign up for class action lawsuit

You can transfer 3 times with a life time membership

MR X
to Anonymous Fairfax, Virginia, United States #1113860

apparently Lifetime doesn't mean Lifetime ...it means Sirius wants more money as if they don't make enough already.

When you buy a lifetime gym membership, that's lifetime.If you move away you can still use the gym membership in the new location.

kazywoo
Morganville, New Jersey, United States #1078698

Sirius did the same thing to me.I just purchased a new vehicle and they wont transfer the service.

I am so ANGRY with Sirius. To me LIFETIME means LIFETIME.

There are plenty of vehicles out there and people subscribing to Sirius.They should have never offered Lifetime memberships if they weren't planning on holding up their end of the contract.